Recipe by PhoenixReborn
This is a favorite "last minute" recipe, because most of these ingredients are usually in your pantry or refrigerator. It is very easily altered to meet individual tastes. Ideas: pumpkin pie spice instead of cinnamon, 2/3 cups chopped walnuts stirred into batter... It is a good recipe for cooking with a child.
Top Review by Shirl (J) 831
What a delightful cake ! This is a PAC 07 recipe I chose. I love anything cinnamon so this fit the bill. I made it in the round pans.This would be great for a fall potluck dinner.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 lb confectioners' sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare 2 9-inch round cake pans by greasing and flouring them. You may also opt for a 9x13 pan instead. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter.
- Blend the brown sugar into the butter.
- Beat in eggs, mix until fluffy.
- Add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the creamed sugar/butter mixture. Alternate between teh two, adding a little at a time until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Pour batter into greased and floured pans. Bake 30-35 minutes, or until done. Remove from pans and cool.
- In a bowl, beat the frosting ingredients together.
- Frost the cooled cake with cream cheese frosting. Note: There is enough frosting for a 2-layer cake- if you make a sheet pan, you will end up with with leftover frosting, great for frosting some cookies!