These are *so* good! they may be made in to baby Butter Puffs by using mini muffin tins and reducing the baking time --- I sometimes add in 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to the batter :)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon; set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup melted butter in another bowl; set aside.
- Grease 10 regular-size muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, beat shortening, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Add flour mixture to the shortening mixture (stir in a little at a time).
- Pour in the milk; beat until blended and smooth.
- Fill tins 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- As soon as they are done, dip them one by one firstly into the melted butter, then roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
These were just great. I made them into mins. I got 27 minis out of a batch. I baked them for 15 minutes. I also used butter instead of Crisco b/c I never have crisco on hand. I did have to increase the cinnamon sugar mixture in order to cover all of the puffs. I rolled each mini puff completely in the butter and then rolled the whole thing in the cinnamon sugar. They are the best when they are fresh but they are still edible the next day. They taste like little cinnamon sugar cake doughnut holes.
I chose to make this recipe fo the KITTENCAL cook-a-thon in memory of John. Kit these are awesome! I chose to make mini muffins. As soon as I made then they were all gone. Very light and airy. Looking forward to making them again.
These are great! They are so good right from the oven! Followed recipe except for double dipping a few at the end to use up the sugar and cinnamon. I liked mine better that way, but DH like the single dipped ones better. Made for the Herb/Spice of the Month feature.