These are *so* good! they may be made in to baby Butter Puffs by using mini muffin tins and reducing the baking time --- I sometimes add in 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to the batter :)
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl combine 1/2 cup sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon; set aside.
- Place 1/2 cup melted butter in another bowl; set aside.
- Grease 10 regular-size muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, beat shortening, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- Sift flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Add flour mixture to the shortening mixture (stir in a little at a time).
- Pour in the milk; beat until blended and smooth.
- Fill tins 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- As soon as they are done, dip them one by one firstly into the melted butter, then roll them in the cinnamon-sugar mixture.