1/1 Photo of Cinnamon Buns from Heaven
From THE 150 BEST AMERICAN RECIPES. When I made these, I left out half the butter and sugar in the filling, and all of the butter in the topping and they were still absolutely amazing. I used skim milk because that's all I had, and light butter in the filling. They were well worth making!! Add 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts and 1 1/2 cups raisins in the filling stage if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml warm water (105-115 degrees)
- 2 (14.17 g) envelope active dry yeast
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 158.51 ml sugar
- 236.59 ml milk, heated to lukewarm
- 155.29 ml butter, softened
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 9.85 ml salt
- 1656.13-1892.72 ml all-purpose flour (or more)
- 1To make the dough, combine water, yeast, and 1 tsp sugar in a cup and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the milk, remaining 2/3 cup sugar, butter, eggs, and salt. Stir well and add the yeast mixture. Add 3 1/2 cups flour and beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour until the dough is slightly stiff -- it will be sticky.
- 2Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes, adding just enough flour to keep the dough from sticking. Place in a well-buttered bowl, cover, and let rise in a warm place free from drafts until doubled in volume, 1- 1/4 hours. Punch down and let rest for 5 minute Roll out on a lightly floured surface into a 15x20-inch rectangle.
- 3To make the filling, spread half of the melted butter on the dough. In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups of the sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle over the dough, then sprinkle with walnuts and raisins if using. Roll up like a jelly roll and pinch the edges together to seal. Cut the roll into 12 or 18 slices.
- 4If making 12 buns, use the remaining butter to coat the bottoms of a 9x13-inch baking pan and an 8-inch baking pan. If making 18 buns, use 2 9x13-inch pans. Sprinkle the pans with the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Place the cinnamon bun slices close together in the pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until the buns are nicely browned. Let cool slightly before glazing.
- 6To make the glaze, combine the melted butter, sugar, and vanilla. Add the water 1 T at a time until you have a spreadable glaze. Spread over buns and serve.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon Buns from Heaven
Serving Size: 1 (170 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 618.5
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 85.3 mg
- Sodium 484.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 53.3 g
- Protein 6.7 g