Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I found this in Woman's World magazine and made it for Easter. My dad came back for seconds, something he never does. It may look a bit labor intensive, but it really is not.
BROWN SUGAR LAYERS
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup butter (room temperature)
- 1 (18 ounce) boxpackage yellow cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1 cup sour cream
BROWN SUGAR SWIRLS
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cake batter
- 2 (12 ounce) cans cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease WELL 2 9" round cake pans.
- For Brown Sugar Layer combine ingredients and spread into each pan to within 2 inches of the edge.
- Combine all the ingredients for the cake and mix on medium speed until fluffy, approximately 2 minutes. Pour one cup batter into separate bowl and divide remaining batter into the pans.
- For Brown Sugar Swirls combine the reserved batter with cinnamon and brown sugar. Drop by tablespoons onto the batter in the pans. Swirl, being careful not to stir up the brown sugar layer.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes then remove and cool on racks.
- Place one cake sugar side up on plate and frost the center. Top with remaining cake, sugar side down and frost the rest of the cake.
This is the first decadent cinnamon cake I have ever tasted! My husband mmmmmmmmmed all the way through it and declared it as one of his top 5 favorite cakes! I was a little confused about the assembly but as I worked thru the instructions they make sense. I had trouble getting it out of the pan, but it was minor, Also it fell apart when I cut into it, but that might have been because it was not completly cooled before serving. Great cake, I will be making it again.
I've had this wonderful recipe for years and the only thing I do different is bake in a 9x13, leave in pan and frost when cool, easy to keep just cover top.
This is the BEST cake I have ever eaten. I added some cinnamon to the icing and mixed it in well before putting on the cake and served it with Butter Pecan ice cream. It was a hit!! Thank you for sharing.