Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Warm cinnamon enhances the chocolate flavor in this lightened version of a brownie – a perfect lunchbox surprise. From McCormick. Nov 26/09 - changed the cinnamon from 4 tsp to 2tsp per Deantini's suggestion - if you're a real cinnamon lover, you may wish to add more than 2 tsp.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup mini chocolate chip
- Preheat oven to 350°F Mix flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Set aside.
- Mix sugar, applesauce, eggs and vanilla in large bowl until well blended. Gradually stir in flour mixture until well mixed. Stir in chocolate chips. Spoon 1/4 cup batter into each of 15 paper-lined muffin cups.
- Bake 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs. Cool in pans on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire rack.
These are absolutely wonderful! The first time I made these I left out the cinnamon and iced them with mocha icing (they really don't need icing though!). They are pretty dense, but I loved it because it was like a good brownie. They are great with the cinnamon too.
These are absolutely to-die-for! Made as directed using the original 4 teaspoons cinnamon. I cannot imagine these with a smidgen less cinnamon due to the flavor blast and the antioxidant properties inherent in cinnamon. Thanks, Katzen, for posting a recipe I will be making frequently! Made for my fellow Fall 2009 PAC hostie! :)
First I was going to give these cupcakes 4 stars but then I bit into an area with the chocolate chips and that made a big difference. I would make a few changes next time; I would reduce the cinnamon to 2 tsp as the cinnamon flavour is a tad overpowering and perhaps add 1/4 cup of 1% yogurt to make the texture not so dense. I used 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of splenda. I got 12 cupcakes and with the reduced sugar and reduced servings it ended up being 180 cal per cupcake. Quite the innocent little treat that I will be making again. Made for Sweet Traditions.