4 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
Anna P.'s Note:
This bread smells really good when cooking, In little towns just outside of Lisbon, slices of this cinnamon-scented sweet bread are passed out to children on All Saints' Day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, plus
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 package active dry yeast or 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground caraway
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh lemon rind
- 1/2 cup raisins (optional)
- 1/2 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1In measuring cup,dissolve 1 tsp sugar in lukewarm water.
- 2Sprinkle in yeast and let stand for 10 minutes, or until frothy.
- 3In large bowl, whisk together eggs, caraway, cinnamon, salt, lemon rind, raisins and pine nuts.
- 4Stir in water; stir yeast mixture vigorously with fork and stir into egg mixture.
- 5Combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar and flour.
- 6Using wooden spoon, gradually beat dry ingredients into egg mixture to make stiff dough.
- 7Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- 8Place in lightly greased bowl, turning to grease all over.
- 9Cover and let rise in draft-free place for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
- 10Punch down dough; turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- 11Divide dough into three pieces.
- 12Shape each portion into a ball and place on greased baking sheet.
- 13Cover and let rise in draft-free place for 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.
- 14Brush with egg yolk.
- 15Bake loaves in 325F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden-brown and bread sounds hollow when tapped on bottom.
- 16Remove from pan and let cool on racks.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon Bread (Bolihnos de canela)
Serving Size: 1 (1040 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 541.6
- Calories from Fat 66
- Total Fat 7.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 274.4 mg
- Sodium 853.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 35.4 g
- Protein 16.7 g