Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Smells wonderful. My grandmother used to make this for me.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sour milk (put 1/2 teaspoon baking soda in milk after you put in 1 tablespoon vinegar to sour it)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Combine sugar, eggs, shortening, milk, vanilla, flour, baking powder and salt with electric mixer.
- In another small dish, combine brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Line loaf pan with wax paper after spraying with Pam spray.
- Pour in 1/2 of flour mixture; add 1/2 cinnamon mixture all over top. Pour in the rest of flour mixture and then put the rest of cinnamon mixture on top.
- Take a bread knife and swirl through all of it.
- Bake in 350° oven. Cook until tester comes out clean.
Really easy, fantastic aroma and great taste. Update to my review, I have just made this cake again, and used up some buttermilk instead of sour cream - terrific. Also sprinkled some walnuts in middle layer of cinamon. Yumm!
YUM! I added some ground nutmeg (maybe 1/2 tsp) and a tinge of ground cloves (maybe 1/8 - 1/4 tsp) as well. I didn't use paper; I baked in a ceramic loaf pan & it took a full hour to cook. Very tasty!!! I might add nuts and/or cranberries next time, just to see. This turned out fairly sweet, so I personally wouldn't add anything sweet like choc chips. Cut off the bottom (so I can take the pretty loaf to work) and ate it with butter...MMMMMM!!
This recipe is really yummy! I love, kids love it, and it is so easy to whip up. However, I think cinnamon cake is a better description. So good though!