Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a family favorite and we've been making it for years. Some like it with coffee at breakfast, some like it for dessert, etc. It's also easy to make a reduced fat version by modifying the milk and butter (type and amount)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (add more as necessary... we usually double the amount of topping)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter with eggs, white sugar, vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- Mix dry ingredients into the butter and egg mixture, adding milk and mixing until just blended.
- Pour half of mixture into a full-size greased loaf pan.
- Blend together brown sugar and cinnamon mixture and sprinkle 1/2 of it on top of batter in the loaf pan, spread evenly.
- Gently pour the rest of the batter into the loaf pan. Sprinkle more brown sugar and cinnamon mixture on top (make more as necessary, we usually end up using double the suggested amount in total).
- Take a butter knife and swirl the mixture by making "figure 8's" in the batter.
- Put in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Be sure to rotate after 1/2 hour and check it at the 50-minute mark in case it's done early.
- Let cool. Then slice and serve! Be sure to refrigerate leftovers.