- 2 teaspoons yeast
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
Filling for cinnamon rolls
- 1⁄3 cup butter, soft
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup ground pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve yeast, 1/4 cup warm water, 1/2 tsp sugar in a small measuring cup, let sit for 10 minutes.
- In food processor mix together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, 1/2 cup butter. Pulse until a fine crumb forms.
- Transfer to mixing bowl, add yeast mixture and buttermilk.
- Mix just until form a ball, turn out onto a floured surface. Knead 8 times, do not over knead or dough will be tough.
- On a lightly floured board. Roll into a 18x6 inch rectangle.
- Spread with softened butter sprinkle brown sugar over surface then sprinkle with cinnamon (if using the ground pecans, top next).
- Roll up like you would a jelly roll, cut into 12 equal parts.
- Place rolls into a muffin cup baking pan lined with paper cups.
- Bake at 400°F for 15-18 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before moving to cooling rack.