Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I've noticed that several chefs have been asking for recipes for a breakfast that travels. This is a great glorified muffin. It is made like banana bread, topped with sliced bananas, brushed with butter, and then covered with a cinnamon and sugar mixture. Just grab one on your way out the door and enjoy or take a whole batch to work for everybody. You'll probably have to pass out the recipe for them too.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about three large)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- banana, for slicing
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (for brushing on the cake tops)
- 3 tablespoons sugar (mixed with)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs and continue beating.
- Add the bananas, vanilla, and buttermilk.
- In another bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together.
- Fold flour mixture into the butter-banana mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin papers.
- Slice the bananas and arrange them on top of the dough. Use as many slices as desired. (Remember, the dough will expand in the oven while the banana slices will tend to become smaller).
- Brush the tops with the melted butter and then sprinkle them with the cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool on wire racks.
These were the best banana muffins I have ever made. HANDS DOWN!! I didn't know it was possible to get a dense, yet cake like texture all in one muffin. And the topping was like nothing else I've ever had. My house smells heavenly. These are worth ten stars!!! A little more work than most muffin recipes but oh so worth it. I will definately make these over and over again. In fact, I think my search for the perfect banana muffin may very well be over! I used my large/jumbo muffin pan and I got 11 muffins from the batter. They were ready in about 25 minutes. Wounderful recipe!!! Made with love, and in loving memory of Amy.
A lovely tender muffin and I loved the cinnamon. I found I could taste the baking soda a bit so I might try reducing to 1/2 tsp. Recipe made 18 large muffins for me.