Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is another one of those recipes I had saved from a wives group in Saudi Arabia, lost and just rediscovered. Though I haven't made it yet, want to save it to try and NOT loose it again. Updated to correct the ommission noted in the review; thanks for the help!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce, sweetened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raisin (optional)
- glaze (optional)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In medium bowl combine first four ingredients.
- In large bowl blend applesauce, sugar, egg substitute and margarine.
- Stir in flour mixture until just blended.
- Batter will be lumpy, mix in raisins.
- Spoon batter into greased 9"x5"x2" loaf pan.
- Bake 55 to 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Drizzle with glaze if desired and serve.
Wonderfully moist and flavorful! I subbed dried cranberries for raisins and cut sugar to 1/2 cup. Loaf raised quite high while baking. I will also add some chopped walnuts next time. Made for Spring 2010 PAC.
A simple basic coffeecake with a nice flavor. I think this would be great with a glaze/icing of some sort but will work on its own too. Very easy to make and I did use 2 eggs for the egg substitute and added the raisins. Moist and tender, hint of apple flavor, and would be wonderful with a cup of coffee or tea. I think I would add some walnuts and cinnamon or nutmeg for a little extra zip. Thank you Bonnie.....made and reviewed for PAC 2007. UPDATE: The cinnamon amount is missing from the ingredient list.