6 hrs 45 mins
A wonderful holiday project to do with the young ones. Makes inedible, incredibly fragrant cinnamon "cookie" ornaments. These ornaments also work well as package decorations.
My Private Note
dozen ( ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Line a strainer with cheesecloth or paper towels and place over a large bowl.
- 2Pour applesauce into strainer and let it drain for about 8 hours.
- 3There will be at least a cup of liquid to drain off (if you're in a hurry, you may eliminate this step, but you will need about 3 or 4 ounces extra cinnamon to get a firm dough) Starting with half of the cinnamon, add to the applesauce and stir until blended.
- 4Gradually add more cinnamon until dough is stiff enough to roll out.
- 5You may not need the entire amount of cinnamon called for.
- 6Place portion of the dough onto a sheet of plastic wrap or wax paper and place another sheet on top of this.
- 7Use a rolling pin, and roll to 1/4-inch; thickness.
- 8Peel off the top sheet of plastic wrap.
- 9Cut into shapes using seasonal cookie cutters.
- 10Carefully slide a spatula under the cut cookie shapes and carefully place each of these on a baking pan coated with Pam.
- 11Next, use a toothpick and poke a hole near the top of each shape (for threading with hanging-ribbon later).
- 12Make sure the hole is big enough to accommodate the ribbon as it will shrink quite a bit during the baking.
- 13Run the toothpick around the edges of each ornament, smoothing any uneven edges, if necessary.
- 14Place in 175°F oven for 6 to 8 hours, until firm and dry (your house will smell wonderful during this time!) Remove "cookies" carefully and cool completely.
- 15You may decorate with glue, glitter, paint, etc. (I prefer these without decoration) Lace with ribbon, tie off at top & hang on tree.
Browse Our Top Household Cleaner Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Household Cleaner Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cinnamon Applesauce Holiday Ornaments
Serving Size: 1 (1016 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 293.3
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 68.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 33.0 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 2.5 g