Recipe by Island Girl 525
This is really easy and delicious applesauce. I left out the sugar completely and thought it was sweet enough. The recipe says that if you prefer a sweeter applesauce, choose red apples, such as Fuji or Gala, instead of adding more sugar. This recipe comes from the Everyday Food Magazine.
- 4 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (to taste) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch coarse salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 2 quart microwave- safe dish with a lid, combine apples, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt.
- Cover, and microwave on high until very tender, 10- 15 minutes, stirring halfway through. Mash apples with the back of a spoon.
- Serve warm; or cover, refrigerate at least 1 hour, and serve chilled. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.