Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a healthier cookie but is still delicious! From one of my favourite cookbooks, "One Smart Cookie", by Julie Van Rosendaal. Dough needs an hour to chill before rolling out.
- 1⁄4 cup stick butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup applesauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, beat margarine, brown sugar, applesauce and egg until smooth.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Add to the applesauce mixture, stirring by hand just until you have a soft dough. Divide the dough in half, wrap each half in plastic and refrigerate for at least an hour or until well chilled.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Roll dough 1/8 inch thick between two sheets of waxed paper. Cut with a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter or glass rim, and place 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes, until edges are golden. Bake 5 minutes longer for darker golden, crispier cookies. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.