- Brush a little of the butter into a loose bottom 23 cm pie tin. Preheat oven to 200 C / 400 F/ Gas 6.
- Roll out the pastry and line the base of the tin with the pastry. Brush generously with butter and sprinkle half the sugar over the pastry, avoiding the edges.
- Toss the apple slices in the lemon juice and coat with the remaining sugar and cinnamon.
- Cover the base with the apples, leaving a 2 cm gap around the edge. Drizzle the remaining butter over the apples and dust with a little more cinnamon.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 - 25 minutes until the apple is soft and slightly golden and the pastry rim looks crisp.