Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a quick and easy free-formed apple tart that uses refrigerated pie pastry. I got this from the Taste of Home magazine. I use Granny Smith apples for this.
- 1 large apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie crust
- 2 tablespoons apple jelly
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cinnamon baking chips
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon milk (or more)
- In a small bowl, toss apple with lemon juice; set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a 14 inch circle.
- Transfer to a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- spread jelly to within 2 inches of edges.
- Sprinkle with apple mixture, sugar, baking chips and almonds.
- fold up edges of pastry over filling, leaving center uncovered.
- Brush folded pastry with milk.
- Bake at 400F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Move to wire rack to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency.
- Drizzle over tart.
This was a nice light dessert after a heavy meal for guests(turkey, anyone?), and it was good warm or cold. I couldn't find cinnamon chips, so I improvised by dotting the apples w/ about 2 T Smart Balance and sprinkling the whole shebang with cinnamon. Worked fine! I alsoo skipped the icing, as we are not big fans, and sprinkled on a few dried cranberries instead. The result was very festive, and I can't overemphasize how easy it was! Made for Newest Zaar Tag.