Recipe by grandma2969
recipe from the Apple Barn Cider Mill and restaurant in Sevierville, Tennessee...this recipe will make 2 loaves
Top Review by Ty's Kitchen
Very different but yummy addition to cinnamon bread. I left off the glaze but otherwise followed the recipe. Only comment is that the bread by itself was a little dry (where there is no apples) and needed to be buttered.
- 1⁄2 cup scalded milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 (1 ounce) packages instant yeast
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2 large eggs
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely diced apples
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon apple juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk, 1/3 cup sugar, salt and 1/4 cup butter in saucepan over medium heat, stirring until butter melts.
- Cool to lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl.
- Stir in milk mixture and eggs.
- Gradually stir in enough flour to form stiff dough.
- Knead on floured surface until smooth and satiny.
- Place in greased bowl, turning to coat surface.
- let rise, covered in warm place until doubled in bulk.
- combine 2/3 cup sugar, 1 tbls of flour and cinnamon in bowl and mix well.
- toss apples and walnuts in sugar mixture.
- roll dough into 11x15 rectangle on lightly floured surface.
- Spread with 2 tbls softened butter.
- top with apple mixture.
- roll as for jelly roll, starting with 15" side.Seal ends and edges.
- cut into halves.
- Place each half in greased 9x5" loaf pan.
- Cut about 1/2" deep with scissors into 10 slices.
- Let rise, covered until doubled in bulk.
- Bake at 350* for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans after 5 minutes.
- invert onto wire rack with waxed paper under rack to catch drips.
- Mix powdered sugar and apple juice in bowl.
- drizzle icing over loaves.