Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This was in the most recent issue of Cooking Light Magazine. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to very soon as it sounds wonderfully delicious.
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dried apple, chopped
- 2 tablespoons calvados (apple brandy)
- 3 1⁄2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 4 large eggs
- 5 cups cubed cinnamon-swirl bread (about 12 oz)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Combine raisins, dried apples and apple brandy in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 1 minute; cool. Combine milk, 3/4 cup sugar, lemon rind, melted butter, 1/2 tsp salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and eggs in a large bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Stir in bread cubes and raisin mixture. let stand at room temperature 15 minutes.
- Pour bread mixture into an 8 inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake a 325 for 50 minutes or until set. Serve Warm.
This was one of the best bread puddings I have ever had. I did make a few changes: used fresh apples (cubed), 1/2 milk - 1/2 light cream. So, my version is not LIGHT, but was excellent