Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are nice right from the oven.
- 3⁄4 cup peeled finely chopped apple
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine
- 1⁄4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 egg whites, lightly beat
- sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, toss apples with one-fourth cup sugar and the cinamon.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, flours, baking powder and salt.
- Mix together milk, margarine, and egg whites.
- Stir milk mixture into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Add apples and nuts.
- Fill lightly greased muffin cups three-quarters full; sprinkle each top lightly with sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
This wasn't bad, but it wasn't the best I've made, either. I used a little more ground cinnamon, whole milk, pecans, and regular flour. It just tasted a little too "diet" for me. I liked the idea of tossing the apples directly with the sugar & cinnamon, as it seemed to stick to the apples better and absorb more of the flavor. I might try this again, but use the entire egg next time...maybe that will make it a little more tasty. It was easy to make, though!