Recipe by Oolala
Love how I got this recipe! I bought a cookbook at an estate sale and inside was a very yellowed newspaper clipping from the Chicago Daily News and this recipe was printed on it. This recipe calls for peanut oil (which I love) but if you are making this for company or a pot luck, make sure there are no peanut allergies! I guessed the yield since there was no mention here and since I haven't made them yet. Feel free to update the recipe if you discover it is different!
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 3 cups cooking apples, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup flour, unsifted
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- peanut oil
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs until light and foamy.
- Mix in 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, 1 teaspoons cinnamon, and water until well blended.
- Stir in chopped apple, flour and grated lemon peel; mix well.
- Heat the oil in skillet.
- Drop 1/4 cup apple mixture into hot oil. Flatten slightly. Fry on each side until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon to make the topping.
- Sprinkle sugar-cinnamon mixture over hot latkes.
- Serve immediately.