Recipe by Aroostook
This recipe is really spicy and sweet!
Top Review by Jxenja
A well-written recipe for a delicious jelly. This recipe is easy enough for relatively inexperienced canners since it details every step clearly. I did not have mace, so I put 8 allspice berries in the spice bag. It was sweet and spicy, but I may try a few more cloves next time for an even spicier taste. This recipe makes a gorgeous red jelly that would be ideal for a holiday housewarming or other gift occasion, or just to enjoy!
- 2 cups apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup red cinnamon candies (red hots)
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mace
- 1 box dry pectin
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 cups sugar
- Prepare home canning jars and lids according to manufacture's instructions.
- Jars must be covered with water and boiled 10 minutes to sterilize.
- Combine apple juice, lemon juice, red hots, water, food coloring, mace and pectin.
- Tie cloves and cinnamon stick in a spice bag.
- Add spice bag to juice mixture.
- Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Add sugar, stirring to dissolve.
- Bring to a rolling boil.
- Boil hard for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and skin foam, if necessary.
- Carefully ladle hot jelly into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space.
- Wipe jar rim clean.
- Place lid on jar with sealing compound next to glass.
- Screw band down evenly and firmly.
- Do not use excessive force.
- Process jelly 5 minutes in a boiling water canner.