Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A nice alternative to a heavy apple pie dessert. Quick to put together.
- 4 cups peeled cored & thinly sliced baking apples
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (divided)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 2 quart glass baking dish (or clay baker is fine too).
- Combine apples and orange juice in a large bowl.
- Stir in sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon; toss to coat apples.
- Spoon apple mixture into prepared dish.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is coarse and crumbly and then stir in oats.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over apple mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until apples are tender.
I had a large can of apples I wanted to use up so I used those for the apple base. I followed to topping mix, but added 1/4 cup of desicated coconut to the topping. Delicious and fast. I added 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves to the apples. I would recommend everyone making this simple dessert. Made for ZWT8 (The Fearless Red Dragons)
Easy and cinnamony. Goes well with ice cream. Made for ZWT8
Very easy to make and really hit the spot on a chilly, rainy day. I don't care for nutmeg, so substitued with allspice. Can't wait to try this with a scoop of frozen vanilla yogurt on top!