Recipe by HokiesMom
A nice alternative to a heavy apple pie dessert. Quick to put together.
Top Review by cookingpompom
I had a large can of apples I wanted to use up so I used those for the apple base. I followed to topping mix, but added 1/4 cup of desicated coconut to the topping. Delicious and fast. I added 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves to the apples. I would recommend everyone making this simple dessert. Made for ZWT8 (The Fearless Red Dragons)
- 4 cups peeled cored & thinly sliced baking apples
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (divided)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 2 quart glass baking dish (or clay baker is fine too).
- Combine apples and orange juice in a large bowl.
- Stir in sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, and 1/2 tsp cinnamon; toss to coat apples.
- Spoon apple mixture into prepared dish.
- Combine brown sugar, flour, remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture is coarse and crumbly and then stir in oats.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over apple mixture.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until apples are tender.