Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Every year in the fall when it is picking season in Julian, CA, up in the mountains above where we live in La Mesa, CA, we go up and pick world class apples on the cheap and make dozens of apple recipes before they go bad on us. This is one of our favorites.
- 4 cups sliced apples (Any kind will do, but tart ones like Granny Smiths are best. Do not peel.)
- 1⁄2 cup Equal sugar substitute
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup flour (General purpose is ok.)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (Smart Balance is the best if you can get it in your area. Terrific taste and extremely healthy!)
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Add margarine.
- Blend well with a fork.
- Combine apples, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Spread across the bottom of an appropriately sized baking dish.
- Spread dry ingredients and butter mixture over the apples.
- Press it down a bit.
- Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes until topping is brown and apples are tender when you stick a fork into them.