Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I found this in a Cooking Light magazine. The cream cheese in the batter gives the cake lots of moisture.
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 1⁄2 cup stick margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces block-style fat free cream cheese, softened (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 cups chopped peeled baking apples (about 3 large, I use Granny Smith)
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups sugar, margarine, vanilla, and cream cheese at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 4 minutes). Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Combine 2 tablespoons cinnamon mixture and apple in a bowl, and stir apple mixture into batter. Pour batter into an 8-inch springform pan coated with cooking spray, and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon mixture.
- Bake at 350° for about 1 hour or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan. Cool the cake completely on a wire rack, and cut using a serrated knife.
- Note: You can also make this cake in a 9-inch square cake pan or a 9-inch springform pan; just reduce the cooking time by 5 minutes.
Very good and extremely moist! It was a major hit for my family and company! My son is allergic to eggs, and not wanting him to be left out with desserts, I used Ener G's Egg Replacer for the eggs called for in the recipe. I also used 1/2 cup whole weat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour to make it even more healthy. I will DEFINITELY make this recipe many more times down the road! Thanks for sharing it!
Very moist and tasty, I used the 1/3 of the fat cream cheese.
I've been baking this cake for years and it's a favorite. Just delicious. Jan