Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I found this recipe on the web. But the source is no longer known.
- 9 -10 apples, peeled and cored
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice (or 1/2 tsp. each nutmeg and allspice and 1tsp. cinnamon)
- Cut the apples into 1-inch chunks.
- (Don't worry about making them perfectly sized.) Place in a large, nonreactive saucepan and pour cider over them.
- Cover the pot and cook for about 30 minutes over low heat, until the apples are soft.
- Cool the mixture, divide it into two batches and puree each in a food processor or blender.
- (At this point, you have an unsweetened applesauce, which makes excellent baby food).
- Pour the pureed fruit into a large baking dish, sprinkle with the apple pie spice, and stir.
- Spread mixture evenly in a 13-by-9-by-2-inch pan.
- Bake in a 300-degree oven for 2-3 hours , until thick and deep brown.
- Stir every 20 minutes.
- Cool the apple butter and then scoop it into a clean jar with a sealable lid.
- It will keep for up to two months in your refrigerator.