Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I have been making these for years. They are huge! and have just the right amount of sweetness....very close to "Cinabon" this recipe makes a big batch and does freeze well.
- 1⁄2 cup warm water (between 105-110)
- 2 1⁄4 ounces active dry yeast (or 2 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 1⁄2 ounces instant vanilla pudding
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter (no substitutions)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups flour (approximate)
- 1 cup very soft butter
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and diced small
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- in a small bowl combine yeast, warm water, and sugar. set aside until foamy.
- In a large bowl: make pudding according to package directions. add butter, eggs and salt. mix well.
- add yeast mixture, blend.
- gradually add flour and knead until smooth. adding sprinkles of flour to control stickiness.
- once the dough is no longer sticky and soft and silky feeling (like a baby "bottom") the dough is ready.
- place in a very large greased bowl.
- cover and let rise until double in bulk (about 1 hr).
- punch down and on a lightly floured surface role out dough to a 34 inch x 21 inch rectangle.
- spread softened butter on the dough.
- combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, and diced apples, spread over the dough leaving about an inch away from the ends.
- gently and tightly roll up the dough.
- with a knife, put a notch in the dough every 2 inches. then with string or thread place under roll at marking and make a criss-cross over to cut the roll.
- place on greased cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
- lightly press down rolls with your hand.
- cover and let rise again (about 30 minutes).
- bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. take them out when the just begin to turn golden brown. DO NOT over bake!
- frost hot rolls with frosting. (see recipe below).
- frosting: 8 ounces cream cheese softened, 1/2 cup butter softened, 1 tsp vanilla, 3 cups powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon milk.
- beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy, add vanilla and milk then gradually add powdered sugar. beat until smooth.