Recipe by Judy from Hawaii
This recipe comes from the Honolulu Advertiser & is about 15 years old. The apple cinnamon mixture is very rich & yummy. Sweet bread is readily available in Hawaii, but I bet the pudding would come out fine with regular white bread too.
Top Review by cindymcleod62
This is outrageously delicious! We took our first bite and was hooked! You can use any bread you like but sweet bread has a nice texture to it that I really enjoyed, so I think I would use that again. I added walnuts to ours and might try pecans next time I make it!
- 473.18 ml peeled and chopped apples
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 29.58 ml cinnamon (more or less to taste)
- 44.37 ml butter
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 709.77 ml sweet bread, cubes
- 473.18 ml milk
- 2 large eggs
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 118.29 ml raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 3 T butter in a nonstick frying pan& saute chopped apples& lemon juice on medium low heat.
- Add brown sugar& cinnamon& continue cooking til the juice drains from the apples& thickens.
- Set aside.
- Place bread cubes in a 9 by 9" pan, lightly greased with butter.
- Sprinkle raisins over the bread.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs& add white sugar, vanilla, milk,& sauted apple mixture.
- Mix well& pour over the bread cubes.
- Bake 1 hour or till knife comes out clean.