Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from the Honolulu Advertiser & is about 15 years old. The apple cinnamon mixture is very rich & yummy. Sweet bread is readily available in Hawaii, but I bet the pudding would come out fine with regular white bread too.
- 473.18 ml peeled and chopped apples
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 29.58 ml cinnamon (more or less to taste)
- 44.37 ml butter
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 709.77 ml sweet bread, cubes
- 473.18 ml milk
- 2 large eggs
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 118.29 ml raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 3 T butter in a nonstick frying pan& saute chopped apples& lemon juice on medium low heat.
- Add brown sugar& cinnamon& continue cooking til the juice drains from the apples& thickens.
- Set aside.
- Place bread cubes in a 9 by 9" pan, lightly greased with butter.
- Sprinkle raisins over the bread.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs& add white sugar, vanilla, milk,& sauted apple mixture.
- Mix well& pour over the bread cubes.
- Bake 1 hour or till knife comes out clean.
This is outrageously delicious! We took our first bite and was hooked! You can use any bread you like but sweet bread has a nice texture to it that I really enjoyed, so I think I would use that again. I added walnuts to ours and might try pecans next time I make it!
I was not to fond of this recipie. I did everything the way it told me to. It seemed to juicy and I cooked it for a long time. I didn't use sweet bread maybe that made a difference. thanks anyways...I probably did something wrong.