Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Ooooo...such a great combo. Found these online but I think they might be from King Arthur Baking Cookbook.
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup rolled oats, ground in a food processor for 30 seconds
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup natural applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cinnamon baking chips
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, ground oats, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice and ginger.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Mix in the applesauce and vanilla until combined. Beat in the egg, making sure to stop and scrape down the bowl a couple times. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until combined - fold in the cinnamon chips.
- Scoop mixture into a 9" x 13" baking dish coated with nonstick spray and use an off-set spatula to spread the mixture evenly.
- Bake until golden and the center just begins to spring back when lightly touched in the center - about 30-40 minutes, the center should still be moist -- but not wet. Remove and place baking dish on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the glaze:.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, add the peanut butter and honey. Heat in the microwave just until the peanut butter softens. Stir the two together until smooth and quickly spread the mixture over the bars.