Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
From 2000 Taste of Home Annual Recipes.
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg whites (about 12 eggs)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 -4 tablespoons apple juice (or cider)
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg white,cream of tartar and salt on medium speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar, 2 Tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition; beat until smooth and glossy and stiff peaks form. Add extracts on low speed. Combine 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar and flour; gently fold into egg mixture. Pour into an ungreased 10-in tube pan. Bake on the lowest rack at 375 degrees for 35-40 mins or until top crust is golden brown and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert cake in pan to cool completely. Loosen saides of cake from pan and remove. For glaze, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in the 2 cups confectiorners' sugar and cinnamon. Add apple juice alowly until glaze is thin enough to dizzle. Drizzle over cake.