Prep 5 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a delicious banana bread that is not too sweet. Carry a copy of the recipe if you take the bread with you anywhere, because people always ask for it. Using whole wheat pastry flour gives this a ligher texture than regular whole wheat flour. This mix also make great muffins. Bake around 20 mins.
- 1 cup banana, mashed (3 medium)
- 1⁄3 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees, grease 9x5x3 loaf pan.
- Beat oil an sugar together.
- Add eggs, mix, add bananas, mix.
- Stir together dry ingredients, add alternately with hot water.
- Mix just until smooth, then stir in nuts.
- Bake 55 - 60 mins, cool for 20 mins before slicing (if you can wait).
- Tastes delicious toasted,freezes well.
Like Mmmama I subbed some applesauce in place of the oil and some egg beaters in place of whole eggs. I made muffins (got 12) and baked them for 28 minutes. I liked the whole wheat idea and they had a lovely texture when warm out of the oven; however, they weren't as flavorful as we'd hoped. My 13-yo DS commented that they needed more cinnamon and I would agree. Then again, DH ate 3 for breakfast this morning.
Yum! This made for a tasty breakfast for us this morning. It became a bit of a hybrid recipe for us; I didn't have as many brown bananas in the freezer as I thought so I made up the difference with grated and squeezed zucchini. I also didn't have any eggs, so I used flaxseed for a substitute. For the flour I used mostly white wheat with some oat flour mixed in. Thanks for posting! Made for ZWT 8: The Wild Bunch.
These were good and easy to make. I followed the recipe exactly as written. This was my first time using wheat flour. I made these into muffins and cooked for 25 minutes. I didn't add the nuts. We all enjoyed these