Recipe by The Blender Girl
This home-made cranberry sauce can be made in minutes; is ridiculously easy; and absolutely scrumptious. Once you make this, you will never be caught dead buying a jar of pre-made cranberry sauce again. I have always loved cranberry sauce, and this blend is a winner. I have deliberately kept it very basic. I just love the simplicity of the flavors - the hint of spice that is lifted with the zest of the oranges. But feel free to jazz this up; blend and taste; and add in the quantities of cinnamon, ginger and sweetener that work for you. This was my perfect blend. But you might want more spice. I liked just a hint, in order to let the cranberries have their moment. Just remember that the flavors will infuse in the fridge. Like a good sangria - this actually tastes better with time. If you can wait that long! Make a double or triple batch and take as glorious home-made gifts for those Christmas parties this year. This sauce is fantastic for the Christmas table.
- 4 cups fresh cranberries or 4 cups frozen cranberries
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1⁄2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup dried cherries
- 4 tablespoons agave nectar (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger juice (grate fresh ginger and squeeze out the juice, to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon, depending on taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the raisins, cherries, cranberries, orange juice and water to the boil.
- Simmer for about ten minutes or until some of the cranberries start to burst open. Some will burst open and some will not. This gives a great texture.
- Now add in the agave nectar, ginger juice, orange zest and cinnamon and simmer for a few more minutes just to allow the flavors to infuse.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool completely.
- Once cooled, you can place a stick blender into the pan and blend a little if you want a smoother consistency.
- Chill in the fridge for at least a few hours to allow the sauce to thicken and the flavors to infuse. This tastes even better the next day.