Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
A simple, slow cooked, one pot dish with very few ingredients but delicious flavour. Created when I had little in the cupboards and using my favourite meat and favourite spice. I use cinnamon bark (not the curled sticks) which you can normally buy quite cheaply in packets from the Asian shops rather than powder as it gives a more natural flavour. I've not tried it with red wine yet but I bet a good slug of a nice spicy red would go well in it too! Goes really nicely with roasted or mashed sweet potato.
- 2 lbs lamb necks or 2 lbs lamb shanks
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 -2 whole garlic clove (gently bashed)
- 1 lamb stock cube
- 1 piece cinnamon bark
- salt & pepper
- Brown off the lamb in a little olive oil and put in the slow cooker/crock pot.
- Gently fry the onion until soft, add to pot.
- At the same time, parboil the carrots and add both carrots and water to the pot.
- Add the seasonings and stock cube, and top up with water to just cover the ingredients.
- Cook on slow (or low oven heat if casserole) for at least 5 hours.