Recipe by Wildflour
Delicious spiral cookies that taste like a cinnamon roll!! Fun to make!! :)
Top Review by awalde
These are relly not easy to roll! I had to rolled out the dough on the silicon sheet and used a spatula to lift the dough from the sheet. I also used 2 tablespoon flour more as the dough was too sticky. I had really big eggs, this is maybe the reason but not only...I rolled it out surely thinner.
I divided the dough into two parts and rolled out into two thinner rectangles of 5 to 20 inches. I got 75 pieces of 3 inches each.
I prepared the half of the glaze as this is enough for me.
They came out beautiful and the flavour is delicious.
- 236.59 ml Butter Flavor Crisco
- 236.59 ml firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 14.79 ml vanilla
- 709.77 ml flour
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 6.16 ml cinnamon
Inside cinnamon mixture
- 59.16 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml cinnamon
Outside cinnamon mixture
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 473.18 ml powdered sugar
- 59.16-73.94 ml heavy cream
- 14.79 ml melted butter
- 4.92 ml vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- For both cinnamon mixtures, mix (in separate bowls) well, set aside.
- For cookie dough, combine shortening and dark brown sugar in large bowl.
- Beat til well blended.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla til very well blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in small bowl.
- Add to creamed mixture, mix well.
- Turn dough onto sheet of waxed paper and spread/pat out to a 9x7" rectangle.
- Sprinkle evenly with Inside cinnamon mixture.
- Roll up jelly-roll style into a log.
- Dust all sides with Outside cinnamon mixture.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 375º, spray cookie sheets with butter-flavored cooking spray.
- Cut cold log into about 1/4" slices. It's ok if you can't slice that thin.
- Bake for 8 minutes or til lightly browned on top.
- Cool on cookie sheets for 4 minutes.
- Then remove from cookie sheets, and cool the rest of the way on wire racks.
- When cool, mix glaze ingredients well using as much or little milk as needed for a thick yet pipeable consistency.
- Pipe glaze over each cookie.
- Be careful when rolling this dough. If it starts to crack, smooth them. Roll slowly.
- Also, I found it easier when you slice them, let the slice rest on the knife when moving them to the cookie sheet. If they fall apart a bit, don't fret, just push them back together! They bake up just fine!
- Makes 3-4 dozen.