Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Hi all. I hope you enjoy it. All the instructions and temperatures are correct.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Take neck and other stuff out of chicken if included.
- Set the chicken on its legs in a pan. (yes breast side down).
- Sprinkle inside of chicken with seasonings.
- Put a stick of butter in chicken. Either put it down its neck or up the other end whichever is easier.
- Rub the other stick of butter all over the chicken.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the bottom of the pan and drop the remaining butter in the pan.
- Cover the chicken with aluminum foil. If doing 2 or 3 chickens a roaster works great.
- Now bake at 275 degrees for about 5-6 hours. (Yes that temperature is right and yes the chicken gets done). You know it is done when the chicken lays down.
- Just note that when you go to get the chicken out of the oven, it de-bones itself.
Made this up for Fall 09 PAC Premie Adoption. I have never steam roasted a chicken, but will more often. This was wonderfully moist, and if you take the foil off in last 15-20 minutes the skin crisps up nicely. Thank You for a great recipe!
This was good and easy to make. Was glad I didn't have to constantly baste the chicken and it came out tender and juicy. The only thing I did different was the last 15 minutes I uncovered it and turned on the broiler to brown a little. Made for Spring 2009 PAC.
I went to make this for a second time and forgot i didn't rate it the first!! It was AWESOME! I followed the directions exactly and couldn't have been happier! The smell of this baking has to be the most mouth watering yummy smell EVER also!! I was holding my head up high on this one, THANKS CINISAJOY!!!