Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a great meatloaf, and it freezes well. Bake loaves, allow to cool, then wrap tightly in freezer wrap or foil. Thaw and reheat in 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 egg
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Saute vegetables and thyme in olive oil until soft, but not browned. Allow to cool somewhat.
- Mix veggies, meats, salt and pepper, 1/2 cup of ketchup, egg and breadcrumbs gently together.
- Form mixture into two loaf shapes on foil lined baking sheet.
- Mix remaining ketchup and brown sugar. Spread ketchup mixture over loaves.
- Bake at 350 degrees for one hour and 15 minutes.
- Allow to rest on baking sheet 10 minutes before cutting.
Wonderful meatloaf ~ I grew up eating meatloaf made with a combination of pork and beef, so this is right up my alley. I find other meatloaf made with just beef to be lacking in flavor, so this was a real treat. Makes great sandwiches too!
Is an absolute favorite at our house. I wait until the meatloaf is about 20 minutes from being done and pour any excess grease off before adding the ketchup and brown sugar mixture. I never have any left, and it makes excellent sandwiches!!