Prep 2 mins
Cook 10 mins
I felt like cherry jubilee and I had a can of cherries in heavy syrup in my pantry, few minutes later cherry jubilee! Quick, simple and satisfying!
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark cherries in heavy syrup, reserve 3/4 cup syrup
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 -3 slices lemon peel (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup brandy (I mix it up half half) or 1⁄4 cup Cointreau liqueur (I mix it up half half)
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream
- Place the reserved syrup in a saucepan with the heat off.
- Add cornstarch and stir thoroughly. (Add lemon peel now if you have it.).
- Turn on heat and let bubble and reduce till thickened (about 3 minutes).
- Add cherries and stir through to heat up (about 30 seconds). Fish out lemon peel if used. Remove saucepan from fire.
- Heat up alcohol in a metal ladle on flame. Tilt ladle so the liquid is near edge of ladle. Touch ladle to flame directly. It should light up easily.
- Pour alcohol evenly over cherries. Give the saucepan a few shakes until flame goes off.
- Pour over ice cream in bowls.