Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the way I have made my baked beans for years...I use splenda and sugar twin brown sugar instead of the real thing..I got this recipe out of an old Traverse City Elementary School Cookbook that I had bought years ago.
- 1 (48 ounce) jarof great northern beans with the juice
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 4 slices bacon
- Mix all ingredients into a large bowl except for the bacon.
- Put into a greased casserole or oven safe bowl.
- Cut bacon in half and lay on top.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste on top.
- Bake 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until the consistency you like.
- Do not cook so long that the beans dry out.
These are great beans! They are nice and sweet and the bacon adds the perfect amount of salty. I made 1/2 the recipe (well 30 oz beans and 1/2 all the other ingredients); there was too much liquid. I cooked them for 1 hr and 15 mins and they were still pretty soupy. I would decrease the amount of the sauce ingredients, but that is the only change. They are great tasting! Made for PAC Fall 2011.