Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This has more spices than other recipes posted on zaar and a yummy glaze. The horseradish really adds a lovely zing to the meatloaf. Simple and easy.
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 3⁄4 cups toasted bread, rough chopped (as for stuffing)
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped (or 1 tablespoon dried)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups granny smith apples, finely chopped
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons creamed horseradish
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 (16 ounce) canfrozen condensed apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup fat free chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 -3 teaspoons asian five-spice powder
- With wooden spoon, mix all ingredients in large bowl.
- Shape into loaf; place on half baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 1/2 hours or until cooked through. Top with “stripe” of glaze prior to service.
- This meatloaf is also fun baked in muffin tins for a little visual twist.
- Approximately 15 minutes before meatloaf is cooked through, prepare glaze by combining liquids in saucepot. Reduce to glaze consistency. Add five-spice powder. Cook a few minutes more.
I must say that I really don't care for meatloaf, but just by looking at this recipe, I knew I'd like this. It's quite an extraordinary meatloaf. So much more flavor and much more "exciting" than traditional meatloaf. I used 1 1/2 lbs ground sirloin and 1/2 lb ground pork. I made 2 smaller, flatter loaves for faster cooking. That glaze is super yummy! This recipe is a keeper! It's great for those who love meatloaf AND for those who don't! Thanx for possting.
Awesome flavours. I've never used apple in my meatloaf but it went very nicely. Once mixed I found the mixture abit too wet so I added some breadcrumbs also. Used ground dried herbs (1/2 of what fresh asked for) & it tasted great for us. I didn't have frozen concentrate apple juice so I substituted regular juice & also added some cornstartch to thicken it. Nice unique variation to a common meal, thanks for sharing.
This was a great meatloaf even with the changes I made to make it healither for the Make It Healthier game. I used lean ground turkey, 3 egg whites and one whole egg, whole wheat lite bread, and left out the salt all together. I made these in muffin tins since my mother and I would never be able to finish a whole meatloaf on our own, I stuck the leftover muffins in the freezer for a fantastic lunch or dinner in a flash. The only problem I had was that the meatloaf was a tad bit dry, which is because I used a lot leaner meat and less egg I think, but this was still an excellent dinner!!