Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
A beef and cheese flavored manicotti, that's packed with a lot of flavor, and topped with a home-made tangy tomato sauce and grated parmesan cheese. This is "the best" stuffed manicotti I've ever had. It's a family "favorite" of ours. Just be sure to prepare a batch and a half of the tangy tomato sauce, when preparing this recipe.
- 1 (8 ounce) packageitalian style manicotti (shells)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (sirloin or ground round)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 slices bread, torn into small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- kraft grated parmesan cheese
Tangy Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried instant minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- Cook manicotti shells according to package directions; do not drain. Run cold water over cooked manicotti, until water in pan is cold; then drain.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, shredded mozzarella, bread, milk, and black pepper.
- Divide mixture to fill each shell.
- Place in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Or you can place in 2-(8x8-inch) square baking pans.
- Combine the Tangy Tomato Sauce ingredients in a saucepan, and simmer for 15 minutes before pouring sauce over the shells in pan. Please read *Note below!
- Cover with aluminum foil, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes.
- Sprinkle desired amount of grated parmesan cheese over the manicotti before serving.
- Note: Prepare a batch and a half of the sauce. I always do! Also, "DO NOT COOK THE GROUND BEEF FIRST" and "NO, IT DOES GET GREASY"!
- (Prep time can range anywhere from 45-55 minutes).
This was a great recipe. I loved it. The meat was so moist and the manicotti had lots of flavor. Thanks!!!!
Simple and delicious recipe. Followed directions exactly. The shells are not hard to stuff if you are gentle with them. A very hearty and filling dish. Great in winter to warm you right up! This one's a keeper, thanks so much for posting Domestic Goddess! I love so many of your recipes, I have stopped counting!