Recipe by Domestic Goddess
A beef and cheese flavored manicotti, that's packed with a lot of flavor, and topped with a home-made tangy tomato sauce and grated parmesan cheese. This is "the best" stuffed manicotti I've ever had. It's a family "favorite" of ours. Just be sure to prepare a batch and a half of the tangy tomato sauce, when preparing this recipe.
- 1 (8 ounce) packageitalian style manicotti (shells)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (sirloin or ground round)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 slices bread, torn into small pieces
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- kraft grated parmesan cheese
Tangy Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried instant minced onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook manicotti shells according to package directions; do not drain. Run cold water over cooked manicotti, until water in pan is cold; then drain.
- Meanwhile in a large bowl, combine the ground beef, egg, shredded mozzarella, bread, milk, and black pepper.
- Divide mixture to fill each shell.
- Place in a greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Or you can place in 2-(8x8-inch) square baking pans.
- Combine the Tangy Tomato Sauce ingredients in a saucepan, and simmer for 15 minutes before pouring sauce over the shells in pan. Please read *Note below!
- Cover with aluminum foil, and bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes.
- Sprinkle desired amount of grated parmesan cheese over the manicotti before serving.
- Note: Prepare a batch and a half of the sauce. I always do! Also, "DO NOT COOK THE GROUND BEEF FIRST" and "NO, IT DOES GET GREASY"!
- (Prep time can range anywhere from 45-55 minutes).