Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
When I was first married, I bought those jarred spaghetti sauces, but I figured I could come up with a recipe just as good. I have to admit, mine tastes just like one of those well known store brand names. And now that the stores are always reducing the amount in their jarred sauces; I'm glad my recipe makes enough to go around.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 7 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- cooked spaghetti
- parmesan cheese
- In a Dutch oven or large pot, brown the ground beef, onion, and green peppers; drain off fat.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cover, and simmer until heated through.
- Serve with cooked spaghetti and parmesan cheese.
Awesome sauce. Used some fresh herbs for the dried ones. Thanks for sharing.
I was in a pickle tonight when I realized that I had no jarred Spaghetti Sauce in the pantry and Spaghetti was for dinner! Thanks for coming to our rescue with this quick & easy sauce! I followed the ingredients exactly with the following exceptions - left out the green pepper and canned mushrooms ('cause we didn't have any) and held back some of the salt because I always add salt to taste (if possible) to avoid over-salting. I found that about 1/4 T. salt worked for us with the 1/2 t. garlic salt in there too (of course your mileage may vary depending on the salt content of your tomato products). I loved how quick it was to whip together - and imagine it would be wonderful if it was given time to simmer longer as well. I have a feeling after having this sauce my family may not *let* me go back to jarred! Thanks a bunch D.G.!
I thought I had spaghetti sauce in the pantry, but I was out.... this recipe to the rescue! :) I made it mostly as directed, leaving out the green pepper (didn't have any) and the paprika (forgot it). Next time I would add some crushed tomatoes, too. I'll definitely make this again- thanks for sharing!