Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are "the best" egg rolls ever. Leave out the meat, and make them vegetarian.
- 1 lb pork steak, cut into thin strips, and fat trimmed away or 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb seasoned pork sausage or 8 ounces medium precooked shrimp
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2-1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 3 teaspoons shredded gingerroot
- 2 (14 ounce) packages egg roll wraps (I use 1-1/2 pkgs.)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grandma molasses ("ROBUST FLAVOR")
- jarred sweet and sour sauce (for dipping)
- water (for sealing egg rolls)
- In a wok or 12-inch skillet (along with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil) over medium-high heat; stir fry the pork steak for 3 minutes. Drain off fat, remove pork steak, and set aside on paper toweling. If using ground beef or pork, cook meat, drain off fat, remove and set aside on paper toweling.
- In a large bowl toss together, cabbage, carrots, green peppers, onions, garlic and ginger root.
- In the same wok or skillet (over medium-high heat) add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and stir fry half the vegetables for 3 minutes; remove and set aside in a heat proof bowl.
- Finish stir frying the remaining vegetables (along with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil) over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, and add to the heat proof bowl with the other slightly-cooked vegetables.
- In a small saucer or cup, combine the cornstarch, soy sauce, and molasses; mixing well. Add to the vegetable mixture; and stir.
- Add either the cooked pork steak, cooked ground beef, cooked ground pork or precooked shrimp to the bowl of vegetables too; and mix well.
- Follow the instructions on the back of the egg roll wrapper package, (on how to roll them up) and using 2 to 3 tablespoons of the meat-vegetable mixture for each egg roll) when assembling.
- When assembling the egg rolls, you'll need a small bowl of warm water to help seal the edges of the egg rolls together. (Sometimes I'll add a bit of cornstarch to the warm water, to make a paste, and to help seal the wrap a bit better.).
- In a deep fryer, add the vegetable oil, and set your fryer to 375 degrees.
- When hot, fry several egg rolls at a time; until lightly golden brown (turning frequently). Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with the sweet and sour sauce.
- Makes about 20-25 egg rolls (possibly 30-35).
- Variation: For Vegetarian Egg Rolls, just omit the meat. Assemble and cook according to instructions.
- Note: You may substitute 1 to 2 (16 oz.) pkgs. of already shredded cabbage & carrots, (found in your produce isle) for the large carrot & medium-sized cabbage. If you use 2-(16 oz.) pkgs., be sure to add a bit more garlic, ginger root, and thinly sliced green bell pepper.