Prep 35 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are "the best" egg rolls ever. Leave out the meat, and make them vegetarian.
Make and share this Cindi's Egg Rolls recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb pork steak, cut into thin strips, and fat trimmed away or 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb seasoned pork sausage or 8 ounces medium precooked shrimp
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 head cabbage, shredded
- 1⁄2-1 green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 3 teaspoons shredded gingerroot
- 2 (14 ounce) packages egg roll wraps (I use 1-1/2 pkgs.)
- vegetable oil (for deep frying)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grandma molasses ("ROBUST FLAVOR")
- jarred sweet and sour sauce (for dipping)
- water (for sealing egg rolls)
- In a wok or 12-inch skillet (along with 2 tablespoons vegetable oil) over medium-high heat; stir fry the pork steak for 3 minutes. Drain off fat, remove pork steak, and set aside on paper toweling. If using ground beef or pork, cook meat, drain off fat, remove and set aside on paper toweling.
- In a large bowl toss together, cabbage, carrots, green peppers, onions, garlic and ginger root.
- In the same wok or skillet (over medium-high heat) add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, and stir fry half the vegetables for 3 minutes; remove and set aside in a heat proof bowl.
- Finish stir frying the remaining vegetables (along with 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil) over medium-high heat for 3 minutes, and add to the heat proof bowl with the other slightly-cooked vegetables.
- In a small saucer or cup, combine the cornstarch, soy sauce, and molasses; mixing well. Add to the vegetable mixture; and stir.
- Add either the cooked pork steak, cooked ground beef, cooked ground pork or precooked shrimp to the bowl of vegetables too; and mix well.
- Follow the instructions on the back of the egg roll wrapper package, (on how to roll them up) and using 2 to 3 tablespoons of the meat-vegetable mixture for each egg roll) when assembling.
- When assembling the egg rolls, you'll need a small bowl of warm water to help seal the edges of the egg rolls together. (Sometimes I'll add a bit of cornstarch to the warm water, to make a paste, and to help seal the wrap a bit better.).
- In a deep fryer, add the vegetable oil, and set your fryer to 375 degrees.
- When hot, fry several egg rolls at a time; until lightly golden brown (turning frequently). Drain on paper towels.
- Serve with the sweet and sour sauce.
- Makes about 20-25 egg rolls (possibly 30-35).
- Variation: For Vegetarian Egg Rolls, just omit the meat. Assemble and cook according to instructions.
- Note: You may substitute 1 to 2 (16 oz.) pkgs. of already shredded cabbage & carrots, (found in your produce isle) for the large carrot & medium-sized cabbage. If you use 2-(16 oz.) pkgs., be sure to add a bit more garlic, ginger root, and thinly sliced green bell pepper.