Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is a great pie from Richard Simmons' book "Sweetie Pie." Very healthy and much lower fat than the usual, and with a spicier flavor.
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup I Can't Believe It's Not Butter® Spread, spread chilled and cut up
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- Place rack in lowest oven position.
- Preheat to 425.
- To make the crust, stir together flours, sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
- With a pastry blender, knives, or fingertips, cut in vegetable oil spread until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- Sprinkle with the cold water, toss to moisten, and gather into a ball.
- On floured wax paper, roll out dough to a 12 inch circle (thin).
- Invert paper onto a 9-inch pie plate.
- Peel off waxed paper, and fitn dough into bottom and up sides of pan. Crimp the edges to form a 1/4 inch border.
- Prick bottom of crust with fork in several places.
- Bake on low rack for 12-15 minutes until JUST pale golden in color.
- Remove to cooling rack.
- ADJUST OVEN to 350.
- In a large bowl, whisk pumkin, milk, syrup, brown sugar, egg whites, whole egg, spices, vanilla and salt until smooth.
- Pour into crust.
- Carefully return pie to oven.
- Bake at 350 on lowest rack until center is firm--not jiggly--about 45-50 minutes.
- Move to wire rack to cool.