Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
a sweet vegetarian pie which could serve as a side dish. I have never used it as a dessert.
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup potato, grated
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, grated
- 1 dash salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1 9 inch pie shell, unbaked
- Combine carrot, potato, juice, zest and salt and set aside.
- Beat eggs and sugar until pale and light. Combine with first mixture. Blend in butter.
- Place into pie shell and bake 375F about 45 to 50 minutes or set or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before slicing.
This is one of those recipes that I am, honestly, not completely sure how to rate. It was very different. The combination of orange juice and the veggies was tasty, it was simply a different taste and texture then I'm used to. For the sugar I filled a 1/3 cup measure with what milled cane sugar I had left and then finished the cup measure with splenda. I then used 1/3 cup of regular white too (to make the full 2/3 cup called for). I baked and then let it sit as it supposed to be eaten cold. I had a disaster at dinner and couldn't cook the main course i had intended to, so I cooked some tilapia and served this as the side dish. My kids wouldn't eat it but my husband had 3 pieces. I'd like to try it warm, I think that might help the texture a tad. Very interesting concept and I love to try to eat vegetables in a different way. Thanks for posting!