Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I go this from "How To Be A Domestic Goddess" by Nigella Lawson. This is really great toffee, I might even try making this with golden syrup next time.
- grease an 8" square pan generously with butter.
- Mix the sugar and corn syrup in a heavy bottomed saucepan and heat over low heat, simmering for 3-4 minutes.
- The mixture is done when it is a rusty caramel color.
- Take off the heat and whisk in the baking soda quickly.
- Pour into the pan and let it set, 1-2 hours.
- Once it is set, you can try and cut it into pieces, or you can just break it into pieces of whatever size you choose.
- Melt the chocolate and dip each piece (or the whole thing) into the chocolate.
- Let set on a piece of oiled foil.
Whoa! Be ready to transfer toffee to prepared pan. I am never ready and that was a mistake. As soon as the baking soda is added the toffee expands -- rapidly. It is everywhere on my stove, the pan and saucepan. Live and learn! Next time I think I will add vanilla. Decent and quick toffee recipe. Thx