Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
The cinnamon and chocolate in this is a unique touch.
- 8 ounces lean ground turkey
- 1 1⁄2 cups prechopped onions, divided
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped semisweet chocolate
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain; set aside.
- 2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add turkey; cook 3 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add 1 cup onion, bell pepper, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in chili powder and next 5 ingredients (through allspice); cook 1 minute. Add broth, beans, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate and salt.
When I made this, I had higher expectations. This just did not turn out well for me ( and I followed directions but didn't add cheese) and my family did not enjoy. Maybe if I work on it......
This made a delicious meal served over rigatoni with a salad on the side. I used 1 large onion chopped and a orange bell pepper as that is what I had on hand. This made generous servings and leftovers will be great for lunch. Made for *Comfort Cafe*