Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A savory chili that is served over spaghetti and generally topped with shredded cheddar cheese and onions. You also can add kidney beans to the pile.This is great if you make the chili a day ahead of serving.If you've never had Cincinnati Chili be sure to try it! The cocoa mellows the other spices. If you like a real spicy chili add more red pepper or chili powder.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- spaghetti or shredded cheddar cheese or chopped onions or kidney bean, if desired
- In soup pan, bring all ingredients except meat, to a boil.
- Crumble ground meat and slowly add to boiling mixture.
- Return to boil, then reduce heat. Simmer uncovered 2-3 hours, or until as thick as desired. Remove bay leaf and serve over cooked & drained spaghetti. Top with shredded cheese, chopped onions and kidney beans if you like.