Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 mins
From Gooseberry Patch Meals in Minutes.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups thickly sliced zucchini
- 4 cups thickly sliced yellow squash
- 1 (15 ounce) jarwhole small onion, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package couscous, cooked
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the ground beef with garlic.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, tomatoes, cumin, oregano, and cinnamon.
- Add the remaining vegetables; stir to mix well.
- Bring to a boil; lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 10-12 minutes or until zucchini and squash are tender.
- To serve: spoon mixture over couscous.
- **Can substitute cooked spaghetti for the couscous, if prefered.
This was good. I used only 1/2 the meat because I wanted to cut down on the fat content, but that was a mistake. It was a bit bland without the full amount of beef, so I'll use the full amount next time. We used a large onion (chopped) instead of a jar of onions. I'll omit the cinnamon next time because I don't like the cinnamon flavor with this type of dish. Also, in place of the can of diced tomatoes, we used 1/2 pint of cherry tomatoes (diced) and 1 medium tomato (diced). Because we didn't have liquid from a can of diced tomatoes, we added a splash of fat-free chicken broth. We added green beans (snapped in half) and fresh basil (3/4 cup chopped). Finally, we served it with freshly-grated Parmesan cheese. It still needed salt. Definitely don't reduce the amount of ground beef!!!
Quick and easy meal for a weeknight. Also, this is a good way to use up some zucchini and squash. I used 2 squash of each type, which probably was 6-7 cups instead fo 8 cups. I've never seen onions in a jar, so I used some fresh chopped onion cooked with the ground beef instead. A nice meal seved over spaghetti.