Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a very popular candy in Cincinnati, especially at holidays. Some say the name came from the notion that the candy is sweet and very rich and so are a lot of operas. However, a more likely explanation is that for many years, the Cincinnati Opera treated patrons to opera cream candy before performances.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup butter
- 3 lbs confectioners' sugar (or more)
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- white chocolate or milk chocolate or dark chocolate
- Blend cream cheese, butter and vanilla. Add sugar, one pound at a time. Mix with spoon until it's the consistency that you can roll into a ball. If still oily, you may want to add more sugar.
- Put balls on wax paper; spoon melted chocolate over it, or you can set the balls in small paper candy wrappers and spoon chocolate over them. Refrigerate.
- Balls can be rolled one day, refrigerated, and then spoon chocolate over them the next day.